Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Response 1

The Declaration of Independence:

I must admit, this may be the first time in my life that I am taking a Historical and U.S. Government based class that I am genuinely excited about. In the past I have excluded history from being at the top of my academic preference list. Until the past year or so I thought politics and law were for everyone else besides me. An ignorant belief? Definitely. But, and I am afraid to say, a common one as well.

For how often we sing and hear the song "Proud to be an American," I am skeptical that the majority of Americans deeply feel what we sing. Living in a country that has been established for over two centuries, it appears to be easy, and far too ordinary to forget the founding of this nation, its power, its majesty and how invaluable it is to us all.

Our discussion last class on the Declaration of Independence was eye opening for me. I've always had a dear appreciation for our founding fathers, for their far-sightedness, for the liberty they indirectly blessed me with and for the chance I have to live in a country that allows me to believe and worship as I choose, because of their revolt. However, for me, the tribute that I owe them was made surer, the debt I will never be able to repay was intensified, and the precious gift they gave this world was magnified by examining the Declaration. A clearer understanding of what the Declaration of Independence is truly all about, the terms on which it was founded, and the act of dozens of men risking their life for goodness and truth inspires me to be a better patriot.

After our discussion, I realized I tend to focus more on the flaws and failures of our current American Government and Society rather than the beauty on which it originated. Dissecting the Declaration impressed upon me the strength that comes not from cynicism, but from optimism; not from criticism, but from action; not from forgetting, but from honoring.

As Dr. H professed, our Founding Fathers signed their name and as they signed their name, "they signed their death warrant." They signed their name, "they signed their families death warrant." They signed their name, "they signed their names as traitors" forever.

I want to not only mean the words, when I say them, but also live the words that have never been more true for me, that I am genuinely and sincerely "Proud to be an American."

No comments:

Post a Comment