Thursday, January 14, 2010

This is not a novel concept, but one full of power. Last semester I was privileged to take Survey of World Religions from Alonzo Gaskill (which I would highly recommend), where my eyes were opened to the idea that when it comes to religion, and human nature in general, we are a lot more alike than we are different. And we are considerably more alike than we give ourselves credit for. The beliefs that we hold vary in dimension, characteristics and all sorts of things, but we all have the same desires and needs and religion is what fulfills that. Brother Gaskill presented us with the idea that, "We are so good at being Mormons. We aren't always good at being Christians." I have thought long and hard about this idea, and am ashamed to admit it (a sign in itself), but I think he's so very right. I want to be a better Christian, not the perfect "Mormon." I want people to know that I believe in Christ because I make them feel better, feel happy, feel loved. I don't want people to be afraid that I will call them out for not wearing a white shirt to Sacrament meeting. In my mind, I think this is the idea Joseph Smith was essentially conveying. The idea that I need not judge others by our own standard, especially when they are of another faith, custom, culture, or tradition. I need not judge or criticize those of my faith nor compare myself to them. I need to be more like Jesus Christ. I need to be a better Christian, because I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment